Tuesday 28 September 2010

Touring UK

UK is so centrally located. With Europe at its doorstep, you will want to pack your bags at every opportunity to explore another country or just the beautiful country side of the UK.

My husband love to travel and we are out every weekend! In this article, I'll write about how to find places, modes of travel, money matters and some dos and donts :)

Travel within UK

England, Wales and Scotland together make the UK. Each of these, EXTREMELY beautiful in its own way. Best way to start is to cover the country you are in .

http://www.visitengland.com/en/
http://www.visitwales.co.uk/
http://www.visitscotland.com/

Travel:

 Train (National Rail) is the best way to travel within UK. Coach (National Express) is also another economical way to get around. Train is much faster though.
www.nationalrail.co.uk (check www.thetrainline.com - sometimes you get better fares here esp if you are booking much in advance)
www.nationalexpress.com

If you plan extensive travel, I strongly recommend buying a railcard. You end up saving a lot on your tickets. Talk to the ticket office staff to see what railcard suits you the best.

If you plan to hire a car to drive around, your international driving license can be used.

Accomodation:

I always use www.booking.com for booking accomodation. There are several websites that offer deals on hotels. www.hotels.com is another one...I generally book from one of these.

Food:

Eating out is quite expensive in UK and Europe. Also, it is difficult for vegetarians like me!  In the UK, you spend about 15 GBP for a decent meal for 1 person. If you eat at Indian restaurants, expect to spend a min of 20 for 2 ppl.
If you go sightseeing over a weekend : 2 breakfasts and 4 meals = a min of 75-80 bucks!! Thats a lot of money!

What I genereally do is, I book a apart-hotel where ever possible. Apart-hotel room is a like a studio..you have a small kitchen in your room. I take frozen or ready to eat rotis and some ready to eat curries. This way I save 2-3 meals. For breakfast, I buy cereal and milk... for 1-2 meals, I eat outside to experience local flavours :)

Coming up soon in this session:
- Travelling with children in UK
- Travel to Europe!

No comments:

Post a Comment