Tuesday 28 September 2010

Shopping in the UK

Shopping in the UK can be fun. You'll have plenty of choice and most times hunting for the right deals can be very rewarding in terms of savings.

Clothes and Accessories: If you are looking for cheap stores, nothing can beat the PRIMARK price. I found the quality to be just about 'ok'. I also shop sometimes at GEORGE -ASDA's clothing line. The quality is good. I just bought a nice stylish sweater for 10 GBP.  Debenhams, Newlook and M&S clothes range are also good (more expensive though)

Shoes and Sports related: JD sports and Sportsdirect rule the market here. I've always bought at sports direct but I generally compare prices with JD. Also, what I noticed is, its cheaper online. If you are sure of your shoe size, you can save some bucks by ordering it online

Groceries: ASDA, Tesco, Morrissons, Sainsburys are all major retailers. I found ASDA to be the cheapest of all on the whole. Veggies are cheaper in ASDA. Cereal and milk is cheaper in Tesco. Indian groceries are usually available in ASDA. I buy Kohinoor Basmati Rice 10kg bag for about 10GBP. Pillsbury 10kg aata for about 12 gbp. Did you know this? We get 5kg Pillsbury aata for 8GBP but if you are okay with Ashirwad brand, you get it for about 5GBP!  Eastham, Hounslow are Indian localites. I've seen many Indian shops there. I get stuff from Eastham sometimes.

Baby and Toddler stuff: Mothercare is a good brand. I bought some clothes for my 2yr old from Primark and they were quite good. I got 2 sets of night clothes for 4GBP and the quality was pretty good. The brand was 'early days'. For high chair, car seat etc, hunt online for deals. Watch out! ASDA has baby and toddler events very often and I found some good deals there.

Furniture: Argos, ASDA, TESCO everyone sells furniture. If you want some good stylish furniture for reasonable prices, I strongly recommend IKEA. Check out gumtree (www.gumtree.com) ads. You might get a nice deal from someone on a house clearance.

General Info: The concept of Car-boot-sales is a good one in the UK. People sell their unwanted stuff for cheap there. Look out for charity events or car boot sales in your area. The items are generally of reasonably good quality.


No comments:

Post a Comment